Causes of educational exclusion of autistic students
“The Autism Centre for Education and Research (ACER) and the Education Leadership Academy (ELA) at the University of Birmingham are conducting research to understand the causes for educational exclusion of students on the autism spectrum and how educational settings (early years, school and FE) can be supported in reducing the number of exclusions. As part of this research project we are gathering the views of different stakeholders – educational staff, parents and autistic people (living in in England).
We are not asking for names or addresses, so the answers can’t be traced back to you or your organisation.
We would be very grateful if you could take a little time to complete a questionnaire for us if this is relevant to you:
Education Leaders including FE (eg. headteachers, governors and SENCOs):
https://bham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/exclusion-autism-education-leadersLinks to an external site.
Parents of autistic individuals who have experienced exclusion:
https://bham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/exclusion-autism-parentsLinks to an external site.
Autistic adults aged 18+ who have experienced exclusion:
https://bham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/exclusion-autism-adultsLinks to an external site.
If you fit more than one of these categories, please complete more than one questionnaire.
Please feel free to share this information with others who you think may be interested, we are very keen to hear from as many people as possible.
If you feel comfortable sharing the school leaders’ questionnaires with the leaders at your own school, that would be much appreciated. We anticipate this being the most difficult data to obtain.
Grateful thanks for your support with this.
The survey will close Friday 28th February at 11.59pm.”
We are happy to support requests for autistic adult participants in research, subject to the following conditions:
1. The research is not being conducted by individuals or groups which are looking for a “cure” for autism, associated with Applied Behavioural Analysis, or genetic research or gene therapy.
2. You will provide us with a copy of the completed research to be stored in our Vault for the use of our Citizens.
We will post a short summary of your intended study or project here and post any other information, such as documents or posters, in a post on our Forum. We will then send out one post to promote the project on our social media platforms. If we’re particularly enthusiastic about your project, you are yourself a Citizen, or you can make a financial contribution to the Empire, we may do more.
If these are acceptable terms, please email email@example.com with the following information:
* A short summary of your project, purpose, desired demographics of participants, terms of participation, compensation and proposed timeline (when the project/interviews/survey period will run and when you expect roughly to have the results written up by – we are autistic and we like to know these things).
* A deadline by which this advert can come down.
* An Instagrammable image, if you have one, that we can send out on our social media platforms.
* Any information sheets, ethics forms, posters or documentation that you want to go on the Forum.
Please note that we do run our own shoestring research projects
and are always happy to hear from researchers who would be interested in amplifying, funding, partnering, or building on our work.